Annabel and Jill sit down to discuss Philippians 1:27-30. In this section, Paul talks about what it means to live our lives in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. They discuss what this looks like in taking our thoughts captive and giving every single thought and action to the Lord to bring Him glory in all our days.
- Verse 27, “Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ…” when using the greek translation it says, “Only behave as citizens worthy of the gospel.”
- If you look forward to chapter 3 verse 10, it refers to us as citizens of Heaven.
- We should live our life that shows we are not citizens of this world, but of citizens of Heaven instead.
- Paul writes in Ephesians 4:1 how we should walk as believers in Christ.
- It is only Christ IN US that we can be or do any of these things.
- To be “worthy” means to walk as you have been called, as a “little Christ.”
- Verse 27 continues with, “…so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind stiving side by side for the faith of the gospel…”
- The cross reference for this is Galatians 5:1 which describes the freedom we have in Christ to not fall into a “yoke of slavery.”
- What is a “yoke of slavery”? A yoke was a wooden tool that was placed over an ox to help them carry the burden that was placed on them.
- Christ has broken the yoke that holds us back that was caused by our sin.
- Verse 28 says, “…and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God.”
- The “opponents” referenced in this verse are people who are clearly opposed to the gospel of Christ. Their “destruction” is referring to how they will spend eternity.
- Verses 29-30 say, “For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have.”
- It is guaranteed that we are going to suffer. Voice of the Martyrs is an organization that supports and brings awareness to those who are being persecuted for their faith.
- The word “granted” is used to describe a blessing and a gift.
- What would it look like if this week you focused on coming alongside your brothers and sisters in Christ with one spirit and one mind?
- What would it look like to challenge your brothers and sisters in Christ in love and in truth?
Praying for you ladies that you would live a life worthy of the gospel! It is possible because of Jesus and His Word!
-The OHT Team