In today’s episode from our Doers of the Word series, we are discussing the idea of taking our thoughts captive. Maybe you have gotten good at “taming your tongue” and not saying the thing you really want to say out loud, but is it still in your mind? Philippians 4:8 tells us to think on things that are true, honorable, pure, just, lovely, commendable, excellent or worthy of praise. Join us as we talk about how to change our thinking!
- Are the negative thoughts that stay in your head and don’t come out of your mouth wrong? Can my thoughts be sinful?
- Mark 7:21-23, “For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.”
- Our evil thoughts come from our sinful heart.
- Proverbs 15:26, “The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the Lord, but gracious words are pure.”
- God knows our thoughts and sees our sin as an abomination.
- Psalm 39:1-2, “O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.
- God can see and He knows ALL of our thoughts–including our sinful thoughts.
- Different types of negative thoughts
- Negative self talk
- What are the negative things you are telling yourself about yourself during the day that are not glorifying to the Lord?
- Negative thoughts towards others
- Proverbs 24:17, “Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles…”
- Do you use the failures of others to feel better about ourselves?
- Lustful thoughts towards others
- Mathew 5:28, “But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
- Anything that we would consider to be a sin when done on the outside is also a sin when it stays inside of your head: anger, complaining, slander, cursing, etc.
- How do we guard our hearts and minds from sinful thoughts?
- Think on the things God calls you to
- Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”
- Colossians 3:2, “ Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.”
- Confess as needed
- 1 John 1:7, “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.”
- Would I say all the things I’m thinking out loud?
- Ask the Lord for help in this!
- Memorize Philippians 4:8!
This is a tough one, ladies! The thoughts in our head are often the most hidden ones of our heart, even to ourselves, because the rest of the world doesn’t see them. Because of that, we urge you to ask the Lord to reveal your sin to you that exists within your mind. We know you can do it!
We love you and are praying for you!
-The OHT team